Understanding The Costs

What Costs Do I Need To Consider For My Retirement Apartment?

One of the joys of moving to an independent living retirement community is not having to worry about the upkeep and maintenance of the building and gardens.

This is just one element that is covered by the monthly Service and Well-being Charge, which all of our homeowners contribute to.

We summarise below the charges for homeowners in our retirement communities. Please refer to the relevant community’s Key Facts document for further details.

Understanding The Costs

What is included in the Service and Well-being Charge?

The Service and Well-being Charge covers:

• On-site management team available 24/7
• Buildings insurance
• Water usage
• Garden upkeep and maintenance
• External window cleaning
• Lighting, heating and cleaning of the communal areas
• Day-to-day maintenance of the buildings and facilities

Additionally, the charge provides a subsidy for the restaurant, enabling homeowners to enjoy a delicious three-course meal priced at exceptionally good value. It also brings peace of mind in knowing that a member of the team is on-site and on duty 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What is not included in the Service and Well-being Charge

While your own household expenditure should reduce when you move to one of our communities, you will still be responsible for:

  • Council Tax
  • Electricity usage in your own apartment
  • Contents insurance
  • TV licence
  • Any additional subscriptions such as telephone line rental and broadband, or satellite TV
Will I pay Ground Rent?

Ground Rent is applicable at our communities in Otley, Stafford, Urmston, Ramsbottom, Romiley, Sheffield and Southport. Please refer to the relevant community for further details or get in touch with our team.

When I sell my property, will I pay a Communal Facilities Fee?

A Communal Facilities Fee is applicable at our communities in Cheadle, Macclesfield, Heaton Mersey, Lytham, Menston ,Kempston, Wylde Green and Newcastle-under-Lyme.

The CFF is based on the principle of “enjoy today, pay in the future” and monies are only deducted when you sell your property. There are no upfront or annual fees to worry about, giving you peace of mind that your monthly bills will remain affordable when you move into your retirement apartment.

Will I contribute to a Building Reserve Fund?

Please note a Building Reserve Fund (sometimes referred to as a Contingency Fund Contribution) is only applicable at Adlington House, Otley, Brooklands House, Stafford, Adlington House, Urmston, The Bridges, Macclesfield, The Chimes, Cheadle, The Cottons, Ramsbottom, The Folds, Romiley and Jacobs Gate, Sheffield.

It is important that our communities are kept to the highest standards for all to enjoy. To cover any major works a Building Reserve Fund (or Contingency Fund) contribution is levied when you sell on your apartment. The fee varies between communities. Please refer to the relevant community for further details.

Where a Fund is in place, an up-to-date Fund balance is available on request.

Will I pay an Administration Fee?

An Administration Fee is payable on resale which covers the landlord’s costs in checking the eligibility of the purchaser, and facilitating the transfer of the lease. Please refer to the relevant community’s Key Facts document for further details.

Request A Budget Calculator

If you are considering a move to one of our retirement communities, our helpful sales consultants are on hand to go through the costs in more detail, and with complete transparency.

Our useful budget calculator is designed to compare your current household outgoings, with those you would expect once you’ve moved into an Adlington retirement apartment. Get in touch with our team to find out more.

icon-leaf icon-minus-white icon-minus icon-plus-white icon-plus icon-quote-close icon-quote-open icon-quote play-single zoom-in zoom-out